Wednesday, January 11, 2012

You'll Never Know...

I still feel like crying after seeing the photo below early this afternoon.


Credit: Mr. Dennis L. Santos


You've probably saw it on the evening news tonight, the horrible accident that shook the entire town of Taytay, Rizal early this afternoon. A dump truck went out of control and eventually crashed into a police outpost, killing five people. I was with Mac and Abby in McDonald's Valley Golf this afternoon having our lunch when it happened, and I'm not sure who told us of the news first, but Mac's aunt sent him a message in Facebook asking for his whereabouts, apparently she heard of the news already (I don't even know how, because she's in Canada) and was worried for his nephew. Our good friend Felice sent Abby a text message confirming the accident, telling us that she has been stuck in traffic for almost an hour because of it.

I was in a bit of a shock when we were informed of the news, because Felice and I were planning to go home early but I decided to stay in school because of school work and because I still have a class at 5:30pm. I was thinking of saving my money when people were desperate to save lives. What's worse is while I was browsing through the updates of my friends in Facebook I saw the photo of the accident, and when Mac started browsing through all the photos, he found the picture above. I nearly cried, I'm sure if we were not in a public place I would have done it. The photo just made me worried of the owner of that school book, I was imagining an innocent little girl on her way to school. My heart sank at the thought of it, and what I saw on the news on my way home (I took the bus) made me feel even worse. The owner of the book was an 11 year old boy who was on his way to school; he was running late because he was asked to sell rags by his mother for his and his two other sibling's allowance for the day.

The older sibling was interviewed, and she does not seem to display any sign of grief from the death of her younger brother. I felt really bad... and--I know it's really weird but I was imagining myself as the older sibling... Perhaps I would have gone ballistic if that ever (but I do wish and pray to God that it won't) happen to any of my younger brothers. Maybe the media won't be able to talk to me either, but looking at the sister of the poor boy she was not even slightly tensed. :'(

I was literally trembling on my seat. I closed my eyes and uttered a short prayer for those who were killed, especially for that poor little boy. His death was, I guess, the most tragic among those who were killed... if you would look into this site, they have a photo of the boy--I don't want to and I definitely can't describe the photo, so just see it for yourselves.

My mom doesn't have any idea about it because she was in Quezon City the entire day, but I told her immediately when she called me this evening. She told me what she would always say when things like this happen... "Never forget to utter a prayer wherever you are, because you will never know when you will be joining God." . I hope everyone who would read this would also take at least a few seconds to utter a simple prayer for the people who went home to God today. God bless everyone and keep safe.You'll Never Know...

No comments:

Post a Comment